Learn about eBay from Skip McGrath Follow Skip on Facebook
Learn to sell on Amazon

Other Interesting Sites

• Are You Desperate to Make Extra Money Online?
  • IS IT TIME FOR EBAY TO SELL THEIR AUCTION BUSINESS?
  • eBay Holds Sellers 100% responsible for Buyers Receiving Their Items
  • Some Thoughts on eBay Vs. Amazon
  • WikiLeaks Targets eBay Trainer Skip McGrath
  • FREE Market Research Software – No Opt-in Required
  • Free Traffic From The Government
  • More Feedback on eBay VeRO
  • City of Philadelphia Charges Bloggers a $300 fee To Blog
  • Google Is Broken – Free Report
    • Resources at Amazon

Some Thoughts on eBay Vs. Amazon

June 11th, 2011 by Skip McGrath

My friend Jim Cockrum did a great blog post today submitting your thoughts on eBay versus Amazon and I wanted to share it with my readers.

Here is Jim’s post:

• eBay continues to be a great idea for those selling high-margin, unusual, or collectible items etc.
      • If your product has a bar code on it, odds are it’s PERFECT for Amazon
      • eBay is quickly loosing their advantages over Amazon from a buyer and seller perspective for most products
      • Amazon offers sellers a business model that requires far less customer “hand holding” and generates far fewer customer issues
      • eBay is all about lowest price from the buyers perspective.  That’s hard on sellers.
      • Amazon buyers often will buy the HIGHER priced items benefiting those of us that understand FBA (Fulfillment By Amazon)
      • You can take a vacation from an Amazon FBA business without shutting down your operation. Not so with eBay.

Have other thoughts or questions about eBay/Amazon etc.? I would love to hear them. Please post your comments below

Would you like to learn more about FBA (Fulfillment by Amazon) as a home-business model?

A few months ago I teamed up with Jim Cockrum, Chris Green of FBAPower and Suzanne Wells –one of our eBay/Amazon coaches to create The Proven amazon Course.  Take a look and see if it makes sense for you. We already have several hundred students successfully making money on Amazon.

Click here to learn more about The Proven Amazon Course

Comments

Comment from kevin
      Time June 12, 2011 at 7:59 am

Skip, this list hits the nail on the head. It’s too bad ebay management probably will never read it. The “buyer hand-holding” is the big untold story. When I sold on ebay, I would average 20-25 messages a DAY for having about 500 listings. I have about the same number on Amazon now and I bet I get 3-5 messages a MONTH! Time is money, and

Comment from PC Bob
      Time June 13, 2011 at 5:32 am

Having looked at FBA several times, I fail to see the value. You have to pay to ship your stuff to them. Then, you have to pay an inventory fee, for them to keep your stuff on their shelf. The longer it sits, the more they charge. Even with the (slightly) higher selling price you probably aren’t going to recoup the costs. No thanks. My stuff will eventually sell at MY price, without the FBA fees.

Comment from Alex
      Time June 14, 2011 at 6:25 am

I can just say, that I don’t have any special results with Ebay or Amamzon … but I’m still working with it. I think that I’ll chankge something in this.

Alex

Comment from Wayne O. Stanila
      Time June 17, 2011 at 1:26 am

Hi Skip,

Having sold on Ebay for 9 years and now having PAC as my guide it’s no contest. Amazon is the winner hands down.

Although I still sell on Ebay as I can off items there that I can’t elsewhere, Amazon is where 95% of my sales are going.

Thanks for another great course.

Wayne O. Stanila

Comment from Pete Bruckshaw
      Time June 17, 2011 at 5:18 am

Skip, I agree about the advantages of Amazon over eBay. It can be a double edged sword though. If a customer on Amazon is dissatisfied they may complain to Amazon or leave negative feedback without first consulting the seller, whereas eBayers will usually give the seller a right of reply first. Although eBay’s “community spirit” has weakened over the years, it is still evident, in contrast to Amazon. It’s best to be wise before the event when moving from eBay to Amazon. I blogged about this earlier today.

Comment from Jim
      Time June 22, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Another example, if I need support I can get a real quality person who speaks english based in USA within 2 min and they call you. Try that with eBay.

Comment from michael
      Time July 31, 2011 at 8:26 pm

being a seller on both platforms my preference is Amazon over Ebay.
      Personally the biggest time consuming task for me on ebay is listing the items. I like the fact that on Amazon the item is already in the database and in less than 30 seconds my item is listed. I know there are listing tools for ebay and after using a few honestly who has the time and the learning curve for this.

I like the FBA idea but I must agree with PC Bob that the fees just eat into your margin so much that your bottom line is real thin.

Comment from Karen T
      Time August 27, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Skip, I just started receiving your newsletters and am interested in selling on Amazon. However it is mind boggling to find the best source for UPC bar code purchases or software. Can you give me some tips?

Comment from Skip McGrath
      Time August 28, 2011 at 10:43 am

Hi Karen – I get my bar codes from http://www.barcodestalk.com and I use http://www.fbapower.com/skip for my software.
      Skip

Comment from Ster
      Time December 14, 2011 at 5:19 pm

In response to michael, who is concerned about time in listing like us all, ebay has a catalog that serves this very purpose. You just select your item, all the fields and details are filled in for you already to save you time. ebay is way more robust than amazon and has much more in terms of functionality, support (buyers & sellers) and plain old experience. Three years ago, I would say ebay wasn’t doing so hot but since then, they have turned around in a major way.

worldwide brands banner

FREE SUBSCRIPTION

The Online Seller's News is the Oldest & Largest Newsletter for eBay, Amazon & Online Sellers. Get News, Tips, Tricks and learn online selling strategies from the pros. FREE - New Wholesale Sources in every issue.

No SPAM - We will not rent, sell or trade your private information

Email:

First Name:

Last Name:

eBay Tools and Resources | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Shipping & Return Policies

Home | Newsletters | eBay Training | Free Articles | Tools & Resources | Web Wholesale SearchTestimonialsBlog