Small Christmas Present for My Readers
December 2nd, 2010 by Skip McGrath
Hot Buttered Rum
Its that time of year. Its the holiday season and with that comes the cold weather. What could be better on a cold rainy or snowy day than a cup of Hot Buttered Rum. Here is my maternal grandmother’s recipe. I think I had my first sip from my Grandma’s cup when I was 14, but they would never give me my own mug of the good stuff until I grew up. ENJOY!
- 1 stick of softened unsalted butter
- 1 Bottle dark rum
- Boiling water
- 2 cups of light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg (grate real nutmeg for best flavor)
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt (If you don’t have Kosher salt, just use a pinch of regular table salt.
Cream the butter, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in a bowl. Refrigerate 1/2 hour. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the mixture into small mugs. Pour about 3 ounces of rum into each mug (filling about halfway). Top with boiling water, stir well and serve.
Posted: December 2nd, 2010 under Current Events.