Learn about eBay from Skip McGrath Follow Skip on Facebook

Sell Used Books Online for Profit

Resources at Amazon

City of Philadelphia Charges Bloggers a $300 fee To Blog

August 23rd, 2010 by Skip McGrath

I got one of those forwarded emails this morning that caused me to actually read it.  Usually I dump those emails that are forwarded to thousands of people, but this one had a subject line that got my attention:  Philly requiring bloggers to pay $300 for a business license.

The link leads to an article in the Washington Examiner.  And yes it’s true.  Philly really is charging blogger $300 for a business license –even if they are only hobby bloggers.

The lady mentioned in the article should have read my book, How To Make Money Blogging From Home.  Even though the city is charging her $300 a year to blog, she noted in the article that she had only made $50 from her blog.

Both blogging on a topic and setting up niche WordPress blogs is a great way to make anything from a few extra bucks to actually making a living working from home.

And blogging is fun.  I just hope that the city fathers in Philly come to their senses and if not that other cities don’t try to fill their coffers by copying them.

Of course it could be something more nefarious. It is well known that governments hate bloggers as they are often the source of stories that embarrass governments and government workers when they uncover bad behavior, corruption or wasteful and silly spending.  There is an old saying: “If you want less of something then you should tax it.”  I wonder if maybe that is what’s really going on here?

Comments

Comment from Susan
Time August 23, 2010 at 8:06 pm

hey couldnt she file this on her taxes and get the $$ back…can think of lots of deductions against it…

Comment from John Reese
Time August 24, 2010 at 11:09 am

Skip,

Here is another link to a story about this tax. It gives more information than what was given in the WashingtonExaminer.com post:

Hope this adds more insight into this tax.

Comment from Susan Weinberg
Time August 24, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Hi Skip,

Regarding Philly changing their mind about charging $300 for a business license for blogging, don’t hold your breath. I grew up in Eastern PA, 50 miles N of Philly and I bet dollars to donuts they won’t.

Cheers,

Susan

Comment from TomH
Time September 3, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Hey Skip, do a bit of research and you will find that the forwarded email you received and most of the other blogs around the net concerning this are quite overblown.. The truth, but not exactly the truth.

Hennieretta over on Red Ink Diary did her research and I think has presented much more balanced blog post concerning the subject.

Just my thoughts.

Comment from Michael Nunn
Time September 11, 2010 at 1:25 am

Hi Skip, I would have thought that anyone trying to make a go of their own business should be encouraged. $300 seems incredibly high and would seem prohibitive to a lot of people. I consider myself lucky that I don’t need a license to blog…not yet anyway.
Oh and yeah, anyone thinking of reading Skip’s book should do themselves a favor and do it sooner rather than later.

Comment from Mary
Time September 11, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Soon every city will start asking for cash from bloggers-I thought the internet was free!

Popular Pages

Free Newsletter
News, Tips & Tools for Online Sellers.

Newsletter for online sellers

20 Tips for Selling on Amazon

Amazon Selling Tips

77 Tips & Tools for Selling on eBay

Tips & tools for Selling on eBay

Learn How To Sell on eBay

Learn how to sell on eBay

Want to sell on Amazon?

Learn to sell on Amazon

My Top 99 Wholesale Sources

Personal eBay & Amazon Coaching Program
Would you like personal coaching?

Coaching for online sellers

FREE SUBSCRIPTION
 The Online Seller's News is the oldest & largest newsletter for eBay, Amazon & Online Sellers. Get news, tips, tricks & learn online selling strategies.
New Wholesale Sources in every issue.

Email::

First Name:

Last Name:

iDrive Cloud Backup

Mailers USA

Terapeak

Skip's Newsletter

Own Your eBay Traffic

Complete ebay Marketing System

Niche Markets

Wholesale Buying System

Cleer Platinum

eBay Consignment Business

Site Build It!

eBay Tools and Resources | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Guest Contributions | Shipping & Return Policies

Home | Newsletters | eBay Training | Free Articles | Tools & Resources | Web Wholesale SearchTestimonialsBlog